[rabbitmq-discuss] Rejecting Connection

Umutcan umutcan at gamegos.com
Tue Jun 18 09:51:25 BST 2013

On 06/18/2013 11:27 AM, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> On 18/06/13 09:16, Michael Klishin wrote:
>> 2013/6/18 Umutcan <umutcan at gamegos.com <mailto:umutcan at gamegos.com>>
>>
>>     When memory alarm is true, RabbitMQ is blocking incoming
>>     connections. But I want it to reject connections, is it possible?
>>

>> Not at the moment.
>
> Bear in mind that RabbitMQ doesn't actually block incoming connections
> when the memory alarm is raised. Instead it only blocks connections
> which are publishing; it's perfectly ok for a client to connect and
> consume.
>
> Also bear in mind that memory alarms are generally very transient,
> i.e. they shouldn't last more than a few seconds. Rejecting
> connections during that time seems a tad severe.
>
> I'm curious what the use case is here.

I am sending data to a mysql database with my consumers. When everything
is normal with database, memory use of the broker is low. But, sometimes
mysql server fails (or some operations may be running) and the messages
is begining to wait in the queue. If solving problem with the database
takes too long time, memory use reaches the limit.  So, I want my
publishers to stop publishing new messages when this happened.