[rabbitmq-discuss] RPC response/reply for RabbitMQ - Timeouts

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jun 11 16:41:00 BST 2013

On 11 Jun 2013, at 01:53, JayD wrote:
> All information is old that I have seen on this.  Is there yet a way to define a client side timeout on an rpc style call.  I find it hard to believe that one would have to leave the request hanging if the server is not up and running.
>
> Does anyone have a good solution for this at this point in time?  On the client side I am using pika.

This kind of problem is generally solved using threads, or some kind of non-blocking I/O event loop. I have no idea how Pika does it - I think it depends on which kind of consumer you've set up - but I'd suggest you try asking on the pika mailing list - https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pika-python.

Cheers,
Tim