[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq memory usage

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Thu Jun 6 14:45:06 BST 2013

I'm trying to understand memory usage in rabbitmq. Pointers to relevant
docs, salient comments etc greatly welcomed. We have a number of batch jobs
that are handled by one process putting information on a queue and then
storm spouts read the info off and process. In the case of one job, we put
about 5.9 million integers on a queue as individual messages and process.
When those 5.9 go on, rabbitmq usage jumps up by about a gig.

Currently with 5.6 million still in the queue, we have the following memory
usage on the node as determind by rabbitmqctl status:

 {memory,
     [{total,1178020816},
      {processes,131791280},
      {processes_used,130916744},
      {system,1046229536},
      {atom,1338193},
      {atom_used,1314590},
      {binary,12936792},
      {code,15696033},
      {ets,975434504}]},

Can anyone shed light on the high level of memory usage and what we could
do to cut down on it?

--

Ce n'est pas une signature