[rabbitmq-discuss] Statistics gathering

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jul 25 12:28:15 BST 2013

On 25/07/2013 10:45AM, Flavio Pompermaier wrote:
> Yes, probably what I need is to correctly set those two parameters:
>   - sample_retention_policies
>   - collect_statistics_interval

It's not obvious to me that you want to change collect_statistics_interval.

> Are they strictly related or they serve different purposes?

Well, they both have to do with statistics.

collect_statistics_interval controls how frequently the various
components in RabbitMQ emit stats events. It therefore controls the
maximum possible resolution of stats you can get. The expectation is
usually that you would leave it alone, but if you had a huge number of
not-quite-idle queues / channels / connections you might want to
increase it so that your server does not spend all its time emitting
stats events.

sample_retention_policies controls how long the management plugin holds
onto statistics, and with what resolution. You might want to change this
if you want it to hold statistics for longer.

> How do I ask for global/basic/detailed cumulative stats (like those
> collected by sample_retention_policies)?

Those names refer to different classes of stats you can get through the
web UI / HTTP API. See
http://www.rabbitmq.com/management.html#sample-retention for the mapping.

> I think that I need those metrics..
> With a small collect_statistics_interval (1 s) I have more precise data
> but more overhead on the broker,

Yes.

> but changing this parameters require also to change
> sample_retention_policies right?

No.

> Or it just run every 5 s and thus collects 5 samples (for default global
> conf for example)..?

Not sure what you mean. If collect_statistics_interval is shorter than
the shortest resolution in sample_retention_policies you'll be doing
more work for no gain.

Cheers, Simon