[rabbitmq-discuss] .net installer with rabbitmq

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Jan 21 11:14:15 GMT 2013

On 21/01/13 10:08, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> On 21/01/13 10:00, Tim Watson wrote:
>> There is an msi available in the downloads page?
>
> I believe the OP was asking how to construct a custom installer that...
>
>>> installs automatically the rabbitmq, the management
>>> plugin and that changes the guest password
>
> The msi only does the first of these. (well, it also installs the
> management plug-in, but it doesn't enable it).
>
> To answer the OP... you'll have to learn to write installers, which is
> an acquired taste. MSIs can be nested, i.e. you should be able to
> construct an msi installer that includes the existing rabbit msi
> installer plus the extra bits to enable management and change the password.

It's simpler than that.

The Windows installer is an exe created by NSIS, and supports the NSIS
"/S" (silent) flag. So you could write a batch file which invokes
rabbitmq-server-3.x.x.exe, then CDs to the bin directory and invokes:

rabbitmqctl.bat change_password guest newpassword
rabbitmq-plugins.bat enable rabbitmq_management
rabbitmq-service.bat stop
rabbitmq-service.bat start

Alternatively you could probably hack the existing installer to do these
things - it already shells out to batch files to install the service.
Sources are in rabbitmq-server/packaging/windows-exe. Building it is a
bit fiddly though.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen