[rabbitmq-discuss] Increasing the file descriptors limit

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 17 13:39:01 GMT 2013

On 17/01/13 12:26, Jean Paul Galea wrote:
> ~# # set soft,hard nofile limit for 'rabbitmq' user to 102400
> ~# cat >> /etc/security/limits.conf << "EOF"
> rabbitmq    -    nofile    102400
> EOF
>
> ~# # pam_limits.so is required for limits.conf to take affect
> ~# cat >> /etc/pam.d/common-session << "EOF"
> session    required    pam_limits.so
> EOF

Hi Jean Paul. On Ubuntu / Debian we now start RabbitMQ with
start-stop-daemon, which quite explicitly does *not* start a new PAM
session, so the second change you made did does not take effect.

http://superuser.com/questions/454465/make-ulimits-work-with-start-stop-daemon

discusses this issue (in non-RabbitMQ-specific terms).

The best thing you can do is add a line to /etc/security/limits.conf for
*root* - the RabbitMQ service will then inherit this.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware