[rabbitmq-discuss] How to start a local cluster

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Tue Feb 12 10:30:51 GMT 2013

On 12/02/13 07:22, Theo wrote:
> I have a bash script that starts a local RabbitMQ cluster, but it was
> written for 2.6 (or maybe even 2.5) and now it doesn't work anymore.
> Could you help me fix it to be compatible with 2.8 and 3.0? The only
> issue, as far as I can tell is that the second node can't start because
> the management plugin tries to start its web server on the same port as
> the first node. In my script this was solved by passing
> -rabbitmq_mochiweb listeners [{mgmt,[{port,$mgmt_port}]}] with a
> different value for $mgmt_portfor each node, but in newer versions it
> looks like this isn't the way to do it.

In 3.x you would need to use:

-rabbitmq_management listener [{port,$mgmt_port}]

> Also, in 3.0 the management UI
> is actually starting two web servers (the port number changed and the
> server on the old port just redirects), and I assume both of those will
> need to be set.

The redirect port will not break startup if it is already in use so you
don't need to do anything; one of your instances will grab that port and
the others will not.

> The script for 2.6 is here:
>
> https://gist.github.com/iconara/4760720
>
> If possible, I would like to use the same script for 2.8 and 3.0 (we're
> using 2.8 in production, but 3.0 will replace it eventually, so it's
> good to be able to start test clusters of both versions).

2.8 should be the same as 2.6.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen