[rabbitmq-discuss] Regarding Unack messages

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Feb 5 14:04:26 GMT 2013

Hi,

On 05/02/13 13:55, chetan dev wrote:

> A queue contains few messages.
> I have set basic.qos to 5 now a consumer picks 5 messages at a time
> .Messages are  sent one by one but they are left unacknowledged so they
> remain in queue but after these 5 messages rabbitmq should serve 5 other
> messages from the queue but rabbitmq consumer stop fetching other messages .
> so my question is what actually happens and how do i handle this situation?
The basic.qos prefetch count places a limit on how many unacknowledged
messages a consumer may hold. If you want a consumer to hold more than 5
unacknowledged messages then you should raise the limit from 5 to a
larger number, commensurate with requirements.

If you want to maintain the prefetch count limit, but have the consumer
obtain the next 5 messages then the consumer must first acknowledge the
last 5 messages.

-Emile