[rabbitmq-discuss] Lower delivery rate than publish rate - why?

MikeTempleman mike at meshfire.com
Fri Dec 13 18:17:30 GMT 2013

Hi Alvaro

I would be more than happy to provide logs. But all they have in them is
connection and shutdown information. Nothing more. I have just enabled
tracing on the vhost and will send the logs shortly. We encounter this
issue when under load every day now.

Let me tell you our architecture and deployment:

rabbitMQ:

   - m1.large ec2 instance. Version: RabbitMQ 3.1.5,  Erlang R14B04
   - 23 queues (transaction and direct)
   - 3 exchanges used, two fanout and one topic exchange
   - topic exchange
   - Topic exchange overview is attached.
   - 46 total channels.

AppServers

   - m1.large tomcat servers running grails application
   - 2-7 servers at any one time.
   - Consume + publish
   - On busy queues, each server has 16 consumers with prefetch at 100
   - message sizes on busy queues are ~4KB.
   - publishing rates on busiest queue ranges from 16/s to >100/s. (We need
   to be able to support 1000/s).

Each AppServer connects to a sharded mongodb cluster of 3 shards. Our first
suspicion was that something in Mongo or AWS was causing the periodic delay
but AWS techs looked into our volume use and said we were only use 25% of
available bandwidth.

At this moment, we have a modest publish rate (~50-60/s) but a backlog of
50,000 messages for the queue "user". You can see a 10 minute snapshot of
the queue and see the cycling.

I turned on tracing but the results don't seem to becoming into the log. Is
there another way to enable reporting of flow control?

Mike Templeman

--

*Mike Templeman*
*Head of Development*