[rabbitmq-discuss] Queues disappeared after a cluster upgrade to 3.1.5, Erlang R16B01

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Aug 27 18:19:10 BST 2013

Hi Jason,

On 27/08/13 15:11, Jason McIntosh wrote:
> The ONLY thing that I can think of - I was doing stop/starts as part
> of training of the cluster about 20 minutes before I did the upgrade
> to test various concepts, e.g. message loss, master node recovery,
> etc. etc. At this point, if people haven't seen or heard of this,
> I'll chalk it up to something funky disk or otherwise until I can try
> and replicate it.

This unlikely to be a disk issue.

We have seen this stacktrace before, but not in the context of upgrading
and always in the presence of some other error that turned out to be the
root cause. The cases that we were testing also involved lots of
starting and stopping of nodes. That might be a prerequisite.

> My biggest concern at this point is that because i no longer have the
> backup's of the mnesia database, replicating the environment won't
> replicate exactly what was in the database, and so I won't be able to
> replicate it. When I start deploying to our production environment, I
> won't make that mistake - I'll shutdown rabbit, back up my whole
> rabbit_data_directory first :)

If you are able to reproduce the error then a database backup might be
helpful. Even if you can provide more of the log entries from your
each other.

-Emile