[rabbitmq-discuss] Why Clustering ? Load Balancing

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Apr 29 18:07:16 BST 2013

On 29/04/13 17:50, tluck wrote:
> So total 15 messages should be consumed by all consumers at time.

Yes. Ish.

In practice, when the server receives an ack it doesn't guarantee that
the next message will go out *immediately*. There can be a (very short)
pause before the next one goes out.

> When I use RMQ management plugin to see how many messages are being
> processed at a time then I can  see only 5 to 8 messages are being consumed
> at time.

I assume that each consumer is churning through messages quite fast? It
would need to be in order for the short pause mentioned about to be
enough to have only 5-8 messages unacknowledged in this scenario.

> Is this because I have not implemented rabbimq clustering ?

I'm not sure what this means. From your description it sounds like you
*do* have a cluster. You say you have multiple RabbitMQ servers, and you
are observing the message stats for all of them in one management
interface? That sounds like a cluster to me.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware