[rabbitmq-discuss] 3.0.4 - Losing messages in a HA cluster

Jason McIntosh mcintoshj at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 21:09:35 BST 2013

I have 2 nodes in an rabbit cluster, one disc, one ram node.  I'm seeing
messages get lostwhen testing failover scenarios and want to see if I'm
misunderstanding behavior or seeing a bug.  I'm using Rabbit 3.0.4 on
Erlang R15B03.  I've got an HA policy on my queue.

Publish a persistent message to HA queue - Message 1 - the queues are in
sync.
Stop disk node
Publish a persistent message to HA queue - Message 2 - the queues are in no
longer in sync.
Start disk node
Publish a persistent message to HA queue - Message 3 - the queues are in no
longer in sync.
Stop ram node
Checking at this point, I only see message 3 in the queue??  Messages 1 and
2 have disappeared.
I then start ram node, and am still only seeing message 3, and that the
queues are out of sync.  Where did message 1 and 2 go?

Is there a bug or something I'm missing here?  At no point has the entire
cluster been shut off, only individual nodes.  Am I misunderstanding the
intended behavior of clusters here?  A guess might have been that messages
1 and 3 existed on the disc node and message 2 and 3 should have been on
the ram node.  Instead I'm ONLY seeing message 3 in the queue.

--
Jason McIntosh
http://mcintosh.poetshome.com/blog/