[rabbitmq-discuss] Federated Cluster Issue

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 25 11:32:07 BST 2013

On 24/04/13 23:54, Richard Raseley wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thank you - that error in the URI was the results at my attempts at
> obfuscation. I am indeed referencing the vhost on the remote cluster.
>
> Could you clarify this remark: "you will not actually see the links
> until the exchanges you are federating actually exist on the upstream host"?

I think Chris may be mistaken - in RabbitMQ 3.x the federation mechanism
will declare upstream exchanges if they don't already exist (although
2.x doesn't).

> I ask because based on my understanding is that the URI defines the
> remote system, username, password, and vhost - while the policy defines
> the local exchange to be associated with the link.

Yes.

> Am I misunderstanding
> this (e.g. is the policy actually defining the remote exchange to be
> federated in a "pull" relationship?).

No. The policy defines the local exchange, and the URI defines the
remote exchange from which to pull messages.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware