[rabbitmq-discuss] RABBITMQ_SERVER_ERL_ARGS overridden for debugging purposes only?

Bryan Quigley bryan.quigley at canonical.com
Fri Apr 19 15:33:55 BST 2013

On Thu 18 Apr 2013 01:10:05 PM EDT, Emile Joubert wrote:
> You could equally well place the configuration in the rabbitmq.config
> file, as illustrated in the serverfault link that you listed.

Indeed, I finally got this working by following a previous post on this
list [1].   Thanks!  I am still curious of the difference between
specifying that in ERL_ARGS vs specifying in rabbitmq.conf.   Is there
an obvious benefit I'm missing?

> It is worth pointing out that access to the port is useless without the
> .erlang.cookie file.

Right, I am aware of this as the designed functionality.   Securing
this wasn't for limiting the intended use, but more from limiting the
attack vector (and compliance).

> This is completely unsupported and should not be performed in a
> production environment,
That rules that option out for us...

Thanks again,
Bryan Quigley