[rabbitmq-discuss] Configuring RabbitMQ to support change in hostname

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Apr 7 22:34:19 BST 2013

On 03/04/13 10:48, Tim Watson wrote:
> You cannot use 'rabbit at 987sdfkjhisd7f7d87sdf' to connect to
> other Erlang nodes unless the part after the @ is actually the hostname.

Indeed.

> In addition to this, mnesia - Erlang's distributed database - insists on
> creating its on-disk schema in a folder which is named
> Mnesia.<node-name>, and we have no control over that.

Actually, that directory is configurable. The real problem is that the
mnesia schema contains for each table a reference to the node(s) on
which it has copies. So if the host name changes and rabbit is restarted
it will think that its tables still live on the host with the old hostname.

Matthias.