[rabbitmq-discuss] 30% performance degradation with user access controls enabled

Chris csheargm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 23:54:25 BST 2012

Based on descriptions on RabbitMQ access control,
http://www.rabbitmq.com/access-control.html : "RabbitMQ may cache the
results of access control checks on a per-connection or per-channel basis."
Based on this statement, rabbitmq access control operations should not
impose too much load on the server performance.

But in our test, we have 5000 client connections over SSL, each client is
set with a configure/write/read permissions like this:

Configure: {client_name}.*|^amq\.gen.*|^amq\.default|^vsm.*

Write: {client_name}.*|^amq\.gen.*|^amq\.default

Read: {client_name}.*|^amq\.gen.*|^amq\.default|^vsm.*

One publisher publishes 10 message per second to an exchange, message size
is 1KB,  each client/consumer creates a queue and bind to this exchange,
and we have a total of 5000 unique clients with its own queues.