[rabbitmq-discuss] nodename variable and mnesia directory

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 09:33:26 BST 2012

Hi

On 22 Oct 2012, at 23:14, Elizabeth Liao <eliao at seegrid.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is what I tried
> * I start running rabbit with no NODENAME set and entered the following commands
>  * rabbitmqctl stop
>  * /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server stop
>  * epmd -kill ( Is this correct? I didn't see a restart in the documentation )

That is correct.

>  * In /etc/hosts changed line from 127.0.1.1 <oldhostname> <oldhostname>.localdomain -> 127.0.1.1 <newhostname> <newhostname>.localdomain
>  * in /etc/sysconfig/network changed HOSTNAME=<oldhostname> -> HOSTNAME=<newhostname>
>  * /bin/hostname <newhostname>

At this point I found I needed to log out and back in again, though that was on centos an I'm not sure it's necessary to restart a profile on all operating systems. What os are you running an what does the documentation state about hostname changes? Do you, for example, have to restart the os networking sub system?

> * /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start
>
> The error I get is this:
> Activating RabbitMQ plugins ...
> 3 plugins activated:
> * amqp_client-2.8.6
> * erlando-2.8.6
> * rabbitmq_shovel-2.8.6
>
> ERROR: epmd error for host "<oldhostname>": nxdomain (non-existing domain)

>>> RABBITMQ_MNESIA_DIR="/tmp/rabbitmq-rabbit-mnesia"
>>> RABBITMQ_PID_FILE="/tmp/rabbitmq-rabbit.pid"
>>> RABBITMQ_PLUGINS_EXPAND_DIR="/tmp/rabbitmq-rabbit-plugins-scratch"
>>> RABBITMQ_ENABLED_PLUGINS_FILE="/tmp/enabled-plugins"