[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq consumer grouping

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 11 22:20:27 BST 2012

On 11/10/12 16:47, kishore g wrote:
>> I was not aware of consumer load balancing feature, does it assign
>> each queue to one consumer or any consumers will consume from any
>> queue.

The latter, and tcp backpressure from consumers, or, if basic.qos
prefetch is set, the flow of acks, affects the selection of a consumer
for a message and thus balances the load.

>> I was talking about a case where the queues(partitions) are
>> divided among the consumers. Lets say the consumers want to do some
>> aggregation on a key, then it would be better if all messages for a
>> given key go to one consumer. Does it make sense?

I see. You are right, that is not something that rabbitmq supports
directly. It's been on our todo list for a while and we get asked about
it occasionally.

Regards,

Matthias.