[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ crash

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 09:20:43 GMT 2012

Looks like your system completely ran out of available memory and swap space at which point alloc Started to fail. Rabbit tries hard to avoid this (by paging messages to disk and applying memory based flow control to throttle senders) but if the whole system completely runs out of ram (and swap space is exhausted) then no program will be able to continue running if it needs dynamically allocated memory that is not available.

What does your environment look like (run rabbitmqctl environment) such as os, available memory, swap space, etc?

Have you configured the memory high watermark? There should be some alarms going off in the rabbit logs before the emulator crashes if memory/swap has really been exhausted.