[rabbitmq-discuss] Support for AMQP 0.10 and 1.0 versions

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 20:12:05 GMT 2012

Per

Whilst this perception is sort of understandable it is worth remembering that rabbit was one of the first brokers to demonstrate 1.0 support running alongside 0.9.1 in parallel! And when 1.0 support does become mainstream in rabbit you can be sure that as a multi-protocol broker it will be happily able to support both. And that along with stomp, MQTT and various others! Of *all* the message brokers out there I see rabbit as the *most* likely and *best* placed to deal with AMQP 1.0 and other emerging protocols so I really don't think there is anything to worry about. The *only* reason 3.0 hasn't added explicit support for 1.0 afaict is that there has perhaps not been enough indication that the demand would outweigh the effort thus far.

We've still not seen a rise in production ready 1.0 clients so I'm keen to see where the pressing demand is really coming from. It seems to me, as a recent newcomer to the AMQP world, that all the 1.0 spec has done so far is to make people worry about future incompatibility with the only version of the spec that has made any real impact on the industry in practise, viz. 0.9.1.

I should emphasise that this is my personal opinion (about 1.0) and does not represent the view of my employer in any way. For my own part I'm also fascinated with the differences in 1.0 and would look forward to being involved in any effort to bring it into production - but that interest is motivated by the technical challenge and to be fair I'm hardly well placed (as a self confessed newcomer) to know which way the industry is going to go.

In finishing, please allow to emphasise once again that 1.0 is not something that represents a stop signal for rabbit or for 0.9.1 - I expect we will see both in good health for many years to come.

Cheers
Tim