[rabbitmq-discuss] Unacked msgs in Dureable Q

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Nov 15 12:57:39 GMT 2012

Hi Matthew,

On 14/11/12 18:30, m.luchak at smartasking.com wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.. Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to
> guarantee that a msg will be acked by the same channel.  We are
> connected to tcp over 3G so we're lucky if the connection is up for 45
> secs...

You might want to consider consuming messages in auto-ack mode, where
the server automatically acknowledges each message as soon as it is
delivered. That won't give you the delivery guarantees that you need
over an intermittent network though.

> Can you give me an idea how serious a problem, performance wise,  it is
> to have the msgs unacked like this?

Messages in an unacknowledged state only incur a pretty small amount of
memory overhead, but you should avoid leaving messages unacknowledged
indefinitely, because the broker has hold on to them until they are
acknowledged.

-Emile