[rabbitmq-discuss] Publisher Confirms Multiple Acks and Multiple Nacks behavior

Eric Swann eric at ericswann.org
Tue Nov 13 22:00:23 GMT 2012

General question about publisher confirms ack/nack expected behavior, more
along the lines of multi-ack/multi-nack

Does a multi-ack/nack occur and any time and just encapsulate a batch since
the last ack or nack that happened?

Example:
Lets say RMQ has sent me several individual confirm acks, no issues...

I then get a multi-ack.  Does that just indicate that everything in the
range since the last ack is now acked?

Now if I had some catastrophic issue, could I expect to get a multi-nack
basically grouping several failed messages together (basically meaning that
everything in the range since the last ack is now nacked)?

Assuming this multi-nack occurs, but things come back online, could I then
receive a multi-ack for all of the messages that have succeeded after the
multi-nack?

If that is the case, I would have to keep a buffer queue of all the
ack/nacks and process them in order (since they are processed out of band).
 Would that be the recommended approach?

I've read the publisher confirm documentation, but it's a little light on
details.

Thanks!