[rabbitmq-discuss] Intermittent failure connecting to RabbitMQ

Brett Cameron brett.r.cameron at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 00:06:48 GMT 2012

Peter,

It's unfortunate that you've dropped back to 2.7.1 as you get better
visibility via rabbitmqctl of available descriptors with 2.8.*. If you fire
up an Erlang shell and enter "erlang:system_info(check_io).", you'll see
max_fds listed in the output. I've not got a Windows server readily
available to check, but my guess is the default limit is something like
256.

ERL_MAX_PORTS is set as a Windows environment variable.

In your original post the following message makes me thing that you'd hit
the fd limit.

=INFO REPORT==== 6-Nov-2012::16:30:13 ===
    alarm_handler: {clear,file_descriptor_limit}

This message is logged when the situation is cleared, so somewhere higher
up in the log there should be a corresponding "alarm_handler:
{set,{file_descriptor_limit,[]}}" or some such message.