[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl script still broken in Ubuntu package

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Mar 27 13:15:37 BST 2012

Hi Aaron,

On 26/03/12 15:53, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> I just installed the 2.8.1 package, having used 2.2 from source on my
> workstation for some time now, and found that the rabbitmqctl script
> is still broken. Specifically, it requires running as rabbitmq or root
> user, even though I've copied the erlang cookie to the correct path.
> I've run into this problem before and noted it on the mailing list but
> can't find a place to submit a formal bug.

I see this goes back to a thread with subject "rabbitmqctl script
complaints" in Nov 2010:
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2010-November/009978.html

Some of the exploration around the issue was done on branch bug23522:
http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/rev/7bea5ad84fb5

In the end we decided that only rabbitmq or root should run privileged
commands. "sudo" is a more appropriate mechanism for allowing other
users to execute privileged tasks.

-Emile