[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl stall/hang when leaving a cluster

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Wed Mar 14 17:06:21 GMT 2012

Following up on this, I've gone back and looked at all the logs I can think
of.

On the node that hangs (stuck on "starting database   ..."), here's the
console output:

+---+   +---+
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   |   |   |
|   +---+   +-------+
|                   |
| RabbitMQ  +---+   |
|           |   |   |
|   v2.7.1  +---+   |
|                   |
+-------------------+
AMQP 0-9-1 / 0-9 / 0-8
Copyright (C) 2007-2011 VMware, Inc.
Licensed under the MPL.  See http://www.rabbitmq.com/

node           : rabbit at play
app descriptor :
/usr/lib/rabbitmq/lib/rabbitmq_server-2.7.1/sbin/../ebin/rabbit.app
home dir       : /home/mpietrek
config file(s) : /home/mpietrek/work/var/run/rabbitmq.config
cookie hash    : pR5H9kY3Wra/XdLELT5hgQ==
log            : /home/mpietrek/work/logs/
play.mpietrek.internal.illumita.com/rabbit at play.log
sasl log       : /home/mpietrek/work/logs/
play.mpietrek.internal.illumita.com/rabbit at play-sasl.log
database dir   : /home/mpietrek/work/var/lib/rabbit at play
erlang version : 5.7.4

-- rabbit boot start
starting file handle cache server
...done
starting worker pool
...done
starting database

And this is the last output in the log file:

=INFO REPORT==== 14-Mar-2012::09:50:33 ===
Limiting to approx 924 file handles (829 sockets)

On the node that's the master (labeled "disc stats" in the Overview tab),
there's nothing in the log about the new node joining.

Is there anyplace else I should be looking for clues to assist you? This
issue is a pretty big spanner in the works for our rolling upgrade scenario.

Thanks much,

Matt