[rabbitmq-discuss] Crashes - init terminating?

Steve Powell steve at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jun 19 14:04:40 BST 2012

Hi Dan,

The Erlang crash dumps for rabbitmq-server and rabbitmqctl are because
of failures to run these Erlang programs (actually a prelaunch program
in the former case). They should not affect the rabbitmq-server service
if it is already running (which it appears to be since you say sending
and receiving messages are fine).

I assume that by the latest version of rabbitmq you are running
rabbitmq-server 2.8.2, and Erlang R15B, which is what I get from my
macports (on OS X 10.6.8, macports 2.1.1). You should check that any
earlier version(s) is(are) uninstalled.

Did you run `sudo port load rabbitmq-server` which starts the service in
the background?

Now accessing the rabbitmqctl and rabbitmq-server scripts from the
command line requires that you issue them as root, done with sudo:

    sudo rabbitmqctl status

This should give a reasonable response.

To see if the server has problems you should look in the log directory
(/opt/local/var/log/rabbitmq/*) where you should have two logs for each
rabbitmq node you run. (By default this is rabbit@<hostname>.log and
-sasl.log.) I suspect there will be nothing untoward there.

I cannot reproduce your symptoms unless I disable the -pa option on the
(eventual) erl command, so it looks as though you have an environment
problem. Please check the following directory:

    /opt/local/lib/rabbitmq/lib/rabbitmq_server-2.8.2/

and see if the scripts are in sbin/, and there are a lot of beam files
in ebin/.

PS:
[You might be using a non-standard prefix for macport install
files -- if so, the /opt/local in this directory path might be something
different for you -- and we may have a bug, since we are supposed to
cope with that.]

Steve Powell  (a happy bunny)
----------yet more definitions from the SPD----------
corrugate (n.) T.V. soap scandal.
olympic (n.) A camp road-digger.
jamboree (n.) A conserve made from French cheese.