[rabbitmq-discuss] Question Regarding making plugin

Tim Watson watson.timothy at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 10:55:03 BST 2012

Hi Ashutosh,

Well there are a couple of things to consider here. We did not write 'RabbitMQ In Action' although we are good friends with the author! If you feel these things are missing from that book then probably the best thing you can do to help future readers is submit this information as errata (or some such) to the author or publisher and ask for it to be included in the next edition!

The RabbitMQ website *does* list this information quite clearly on http://www.rabbitmq.com/build-server.html under the section "Required Libraries and Tools" - we mention xsltproc (which is part of libxslt) as well as python.

I think the other problem you're having is that you're using MSys whereas Simon previously mentioned that Cygwin is probably the only sensible approach to building. I am sorry for suggesting MSys, as I was unaware it wouldn't work for you, although if you read my response to Simon's email earlier in the thread, you will note that I said "Ashutosh - you'll need to go get Cygwin up and running then try again".

Building RabbitMQ from source *does* require a basic understanding of Make and other common unix tools, and if you're attempting to do this in a Windows environment then you will need to understand *how* to achieve that by yourself, as there is nothing rabbit specific about these errors you're experiencing. As I said, I was mistaken in suggesting you use MSys, but I did say afterwards that you should switch to Cygwin.

Please bare in mind that we don't recommend building from source unless you're comfortable with these kinds of tools and that on Windows, as far as we know, you will need to use a 'unix environment on windows' such as Cygwin. I would also strongly recommend that you consider carefully whether writing a plugin is a suitable mechanism for fulfilling your requirements, as plugin authors need to have a strong understanding of Erlang/OTP as their code will be running *inside the broker* and any issues in the plugin could potentially bring down the whole system. Security can often be implemented in other, non application specific ways, using border control and/or agent based delegation instead of relying on complex logic running inside a message broker.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tim