[rabbitmq-discuss] Configuring beyond rabbitmq server on localhost

McMahon, James S (TASC) james.mcmahon at TASC.COM
Mon Jul 23 17:41:53 BST 2012

Thank you for your help, Francesco. I have a follow-up question.

On the server running my rabbitmq instance, how do I tell it "service incoming requests to send or read messages by listening on port 1234"? When you say Rabbit binds on all interfaces by default, that doesn't mean it monitors all ports does it? There must be some need to have rabbitMQ listen on a specific port restricted only to its appropriate traffic.

Jim
From: rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com [rabbitmq-discuss-bounces at lists.rabbitmq.com] on behalf of Francesco Mazzoli [francesco at rabbitmq.com]
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2012 12:13 PM
To: Discussions about RabbitMQ
Subject: Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] Configuring beyond rabbitmq server on   localhost

Hi Jim,
At Mon, 23 Jul 2012 14:29:29 +0000,
McMahon, James S (TASC) wrote:
>      How is this done? I'm guessing that I need to replace all my localhost
> references with some form of a URL for my remote host, and I suspect there
> will be rabbitmq and/or erlang configuration files that need to be modified on
> the server host and client machines so that they can communicate with the
> rabbitmq remote server. Is there an example?

To communicate with a remote rabbit server you need, as you guessed, to specify
the remote host and port when establishing a connection to the broker.  In the
case of the Java client you can do that with the relevant `ConnectionFactory'
methods.

Rabbit will bind on all interfaces by default, so the broker will be accessible
remotely.

>      Do people typically have multiple rabbitMQ servers running in some
>      federated fashion, serving as backup instances for fault tolerance and
>      fail over?

There are various way to cluster/federate rabbit brokers, see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/distributed.html for a comparison between the various
approaches.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt