[rabbitmq-discuss] there is a Consumer connected?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Jul 8 15:55:38 BST 2012

On 08/07/12 10:58, Mohsen Lotfizad wrote:
> I have a the same question! and for the answer of "/why do you want
> the producer to know if there is a consumer around?/" I should say: I
> have about 50 producer and 10 consumer. each producer producing about
> 500,000 message per day:) In a day it become about 25,000,000
> message! I don't want my rabbitMQ server fail because of absence of
> message consumer.

Rabbit won't fail when you stuff it full of messages. It will block
producers when it runs out of ram/disk space. See
http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html

> because there are many producers I can't use a passive declare like
> discussed in here.

Why not? 50 producers is not a lot; each producer could happily do a
passive declare of the queue(s) every minute w/o any measurable impact
on performance.

This does require producers to know what queues their messages may get
routed to, and also gets problematic when you have thousands of queues.
But it doesn't look like these concerns apply to your set up.

> Is here any controller like Producer Flow Control
> <http://activemq.apache.org/producer-flow-control.html>  available?

See the flow control mechanism above.

Regards,

Matthias.