[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP heartbeat - Expected behaviors

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Tue Jul 3 22:24:51 BST 2012

Thanks Mathias and Gavin!

Just to add some additional insight into the Pika case, we're actually
using heartbeat with the BlockingConnection.

There were a couple of minor bugs I had to fix in heartbeat. py, and yes, I
hope to file bugs/pull requests.

With this added info, I can better explain the original issue. When we read
a message, we may not ack it for hours. Since there's no other activity on
the queue connection, the heartbeat.py logic never gets a chance to
execute. Eventually the server times out our connection because it's sent
frames but no Pika code gets run while we're working away.

Matt