[rabbitmq-discuss] Rabbitmq v2.8.6 installation - Command make hangs forever

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 30 22:43:50 BST 2012

On 30 Aug 2012, at 09:57, misterdev wrote:

> Hello all
> I have a problem when I want to install RAbbitMQ v2.8.5 and v2.8.6

*How* are you trying to install rabbit? Are you using a package manager, or compiling from source (I assume this one) or some other way?

> 1 - the command make give me errors :
> git: Command not found
> --> It'snormal because git is not installed on my server. Is that a problem for the installation ?

Yes, the installation requires git.

> 2 - a few seconds after giving me the git errors, make hangs after these lines :
> rm -rf eldap-wrapper/build/dep-ezs
> mkdir -p eldap-wrapper/build/dep-ezs
> [elided] copy dependent ezs
> touch eldap-wrapper/build/dep-ezs/.done

That's quite odd, but nonetheless you won't be able to build using make without having git installed.

> And it hangs here forever...
> I have had absolutely no problem installing and running v2.8.4, but I can't compile the new version.
> Has there been some changes that could explain that ?

There have been changes to the build system, but the requirement to use git when compiling from source is not new.