[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: Excessive memory consumption of one server in cluster setup

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 27 16:22:43 BST 2012

Matthias,

On 27/08/12 16:02, Matthias Reik wrote:
> even though the setup looks slightly differently (since we are not
> using the shovel plugin), the reason could be the same. We are
> explicitly ACKing the messages (i.e. no auto-ack), even though the
> consumers are in the same data-centers (so we should have a reliable
> network), but if the acks are lost and that causes memory increase in
> the server then it could be the same bug.

As noted in my analysis, the bug has nothing do with the shovel, or
consuming/acking - simply publishing to HA queues when (re)starting
slaves is sufficient to trigger it.

> Is there anything I could do to validate this assumption?

I don't think it's worth the hassle. I am quite certain that you are
suffering from the same bug.

> Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get into a state where I
> have a working cluster again

Pause all publishing before (re)starting any cluster nodes.

Regards,

Matthias.