[rabbitmq-discuss] simple federation question

Francesco Mazzoli francesco at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 20 15:24:03 BST 2012

Hi Bobby,

At Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:49:20 -0700 (PDT),
Bobby Castleberry wrote:
> It doesn't seem to be forwarding the messages to the end point queues.  I
> subscribe to the federated exchange (graphite-uplink on polling1), publish a
> message and it drops into a locally generated queue but never makes it to the
> end points.  I may be missing something with the routing but as I understood
> it this back end style exchange should handle the routing by default.
>
> [...]

I'm not sure I understand what you're doing, but two scenarios come to mind
(assuming some binding from `graphite-uplink' to
`amq.gen-wEmGzR01E_M30QDAndw8VD'):

  1. You're publishing your messages to `graphite-uplink' in
     `sansketch8polling1'.  `sansketch8polling1' is the *downstream* exchanges -
     in other words, it receives messages.  So the messages published to
     `graphite-uplink' will just be routed locally to the respective queues.

  2. You're publishing to `graphite' on `sansketch8display1'.  In this case what
     you're seeing is the expected behaviour.  The messages is being passed on
     to `graphite-uplink' on `sansketch8polling1' and they show up in the queue.

Since you're surprised by what you're seeing, my guess is that you're doing
number 1 but you think `graphite-uplink' is the upstream exchange, while it is
the opposite.

--
Francesco * Often in error, never in doubt