[rabbitmq-discuss] Per queue message limit

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 16 23:16:05 BST 2012

Hi,

On 16/08/12 21:49, Prashanth wrote:
> Is there a limit on number of messages a queue can hold, and after that
> threshold is reached reject the future messages.
> I know there is per-queue message TTL and Queue TTL. But this does not
> serve my requirements.

Other than the TTL options you mention, producers can also choose to
observe the length of a queue and stop when it reaches a limit. There is
no support for this is in the broker beyond reporting the length of the
queue.

> And is there a way to tell the producer that queue has reached the
> threshold. Produce is transparent to this, but just want to ask the group.

It is difficult to communicate this to the publisher, because publishing
is an asynchronous operation.

-Emile