[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ - Service Crash

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Wed Aug 15 14:16:02 BST 2012

Hi Ryan,

On 15/08/12 06:48, Icidis wrote:
>> Check the OS eventlog. Is there any reason why the OS might prevent a
>> process from creating the file in question? Try creating the same file
>> as the same user that the broker runs as and see if you get any errors.

> I've gone through the OS Security log and found nothing. I checked to see if
> the file was created yesterday morning which it was. Strange thing is that
> it happened in the middle of the day and when we restarted the ErLang
> Service and Rabbit Service everything was running fine again.
>
> Is there maybe an ErLang service log file that I can look at. I haven't had
> any problems like this before and we have been using RabbitMQ for over 3
> months.

The evidence points to the OS preventing access to the file. This could
even be something like a denial from a malware or virus scanner. There
is nothing more specific in the Erlang report, and the root cause is
unlikely to be RabbitMQ- or Erlang-specific. I suggest you use a process
of elimination to check whether there is any aspect of the environment
that may give rise to the error.

-Emile