[rabbitmq-discuss] Task queues: use rabbitmq to build one, or use rabbitmq AS one

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Aug 13 12:53:17 BST 2012

Hi Mark,

On 12/08/12 20:58, Mark Feeney wrote:
> So... is it wise to plan to use rabbitmq as a
> datastore (huge, long-lived, durable queues), or is it better to think
> of it strictly as an IPC mechanism (try to keep its queues empty all
> the time)?

If you find yourself performing SELECT queries on the messages, and
their order is less important then consider using a relational database
instead.

If not all messages are routed in an identical way, or you find yourself
writing lots of database trigger code then I would suggest using a
message broker. RabbitMQ can cope with long persistent queues, with
messages of variable sizes.

If performance is a consideration then you should run some benchmarks
for your expected workload.

-Emile