[rabbitmq-discuss] what are message attributes used by broker in RABBITMQ

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 00:00:28 BST 2012

Hi Saima,

I think what you are trying to do is really hard. RabbitMQ is implemented in Erlang, which means that almost everything on the broker side is an Erlang process. So to really calculate latency out of theory is really hard there since you will need to understand how the Erlang scheduler. For example the channel is a process, the queue is another process, the tcp reader is another one, and so on. So understanding latency from the "paper" is not so easy.

In the routing part, an exchange depending on the type will take into account the message routing key and try to fetch the queues that match the binding rule. Then it will deliver the message to those queues. So there you need to understand how Mnesia queries work in order to see the different performance of each exchange. We have some of this process detailed in Chapter 11 of RabbitMQ in Action.

I hope you see the point. I think is better to perform real benchmakrs, see for example the latest blogposts on the RabbitMQ Blog: http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/04/17/rabbitmq-performance-measurements-part-1/

Regards,

Alvaro