[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ, Gretty, and Channel question

Burt Prior burtprior at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 18:21:23 BST 2011

Hi Peter!  Thanks for following up on this. I appreciate it.

> Are you looking on the queue directly through the RabbitMQ management
> interface or the rabbit command line tools?

I installed the RabbitMQ management web interface, and this is where I
see '10003' instead of '10000'.
After stopping my consumer, I run 'ab' a number of times against the
Gretty code, and for lower numbers like 100 or 1000 it seems to work
perfectly.  (i.e. i see 100 or 1000 in the web interface queues).

When I run 'ab' using 10000 or 100000 is where i start seeing the
duplicates.  I've been pounding the equivalent Grails app I built with
'ab' and I NEVER see duplicates on the queue.

This issue is actually easily reproducible with the included Gretty
code and setting up a 'direct' queue as in the first RabbitMQ
tutorial, and viewing the results in the web interface (don't consume
yet) and with  'ab -n 10000 -c 100 http://localhost:8080/gretty/whatever'

> Also, are you able to check how many times basicPublish() is called? Perhaps it's called 1003 times for some reason.
Well, i'm not sure how to do that in Gretty. Would I just set up a
counter in that handler?  Not sure how that works with an event-driven
async framework.
I'm also wondering how 'ab' would ever send more than 10 or 100 or
10000?  (more than you specified)

> Finally, are you checking the number of messages on the queue before running ab?
Yes, there are no messages on the queue at all, so it's easy to see,
since I stopped my consumer.

Thanks again for your great reply.  I was quite surprised when I saw
this, and I realized I needed to reach out and understand what is
happening before I propose Gretty + RabbitMQ for production use.

Burt Prior