[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq cluster using IP

Alexandru Scvortov alexandru at rabbitmq.com
Mon Sep 19 11:07:56 BST 2011

Problems with doing that:
  - you have to use an IP address; using a hostname with those changes
    doesn't seem to work anymore;
  - you have to figure out the IPs of the nodes;
  - you can't easily *change* the IP of any of the nodes (because the
    database is bound to a particular nodename, so if you start rabbit
    as rabbit at 192.168.0.1 and then as rabbit at 192.168.0.2 on the same
    machine, the second time, rabbit will start from scratch with a
    new database).

So, that's not a good solution at all.  Right now, you can't really use
IPs to refer to nodes.  We've got a bug open for that, but nobody's
working on it, so it's unlikely to get fixed soon.

Sorry.

Cheers,
Alex