[rabbitmq-discuss] Channels closed unexpectedly in Java client

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 14 11:02:49 BST 2011

Hi Iain,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 02:47:33AM -0500, Iain Hull wrote:
> From http://wlug.org.nz/EMLINK
> > So yes, this does mean that you are limited to 32000 subdirectories
> > in one directory in ext3
>
> As a result the mnesia database is not able to support more than 32000
> queues on an ext3 filesystem.  I will discuss the options with our ops
> guys and consider upgrading the file system to ext4 or similar and rerun
> my tests.

Wow - I'd not considered that file systems these days would still have
such limits... In my own testing a little while ago, I found that JFS
had the best performance for my hardware when running Rabbit, but I
didn't do any huge scaling tests so I wouldn't be surprised if that has
even lower limits for such things.

Certainly my testing of ext4 is not favourable. It seems to have very
inconsistent performance. That said, if it works for you...

Matthew