[rabbitmq-discuss] Implementing Prioritised Queues

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Oct 14 11:42:37 BST 2011

James,

On 14/10/11 11:09, James Dear wrote:
> Oh I see :(
>
> How does QoS manage to load-balance multiple queues within a channel?
> I thought the queue consulted the limiter before delivering a new
> message

indeed they do, but only when qos is enabled.

> ...in that case could one add a little bit of logic to the
> limiter to prefer one queue over another?

Then the feature would only work for qos channels. Such
non-orthogonality is usually a bad idea.

And it's not clear how this would work even in the restricted qos-only
case. For one, the limiter has no idea whether a queue contains more
messages. I can think of a few other complications too.

It would probably be easier to implement priority queues instead. And
yes, that's quite difficult too.

Matthias.