[rabbitmq-discuss] Is there a channel publish throughput limit to a queue?

Tim Fox tim at rabbitmq.com
Wed Oct 5 10:13:21 BST 2011

On 04/10/11 19:00, Allen Kim wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. I have been waiting for someone to reply.
>
> 1. They are persistent messages (disk writing speed could slow down that
> much?)

A good disk can sync at about 200-300 syncs per second. If each
published message is being synced to disk you should expect that level
of performance. That's a hardware limit, not RabbitMQ related.

If you want to go above that and still have your data actually persisted
when you think it is (i.e. when the confirm is returned), then you
either need to get a solid state disk, SAN, or disks with non volatile
cache.

Most desktop setups have disk write cache enabled by default, so you can
get falsely highly rates of several thousand "syncs" per second when
running on your cheap desktop/laptop only to be surprised when the rate
goes down when you deploy to your production servers (since prod servers
generally don't have cache enabled by default).