[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP performance problems at > 1200 messages/s

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Nov 8 20:15:16 GMT 2011

Al,

On 08/11/11 19:56, Al Tobey wrote:
> I would hope [STOMP] could be within a few percent of AMQP or even
> faster since the protocol is smaller & simpler, but I totally
> understand why RabbitMQ chose to back it on AMQP.

We certainly could optimise STOMP processing quite a bit; but so far
only very few users have expressed the need for that, so we are not
planning any major improvements in the near term.

Whether STOMP processing can be faster than AMQP remains to be seen.
While the structure of a message is more complex in AMQP than STOMP
message, its representation is easier to parse in the former than the
latter - AMQP's fixed-length and length-prefixed binary data can be
processed more efficiently (and, in case of Erlang, with less code) than
the newline-terminated text in STOMP headers.

Matthias.