[rabbitmq-discuss] STOMP performance problems at > 1200 messages/s

Al Tobey al at ooyala.com
Tue Nov 8 19:56:59 GMT 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Matthias Radestock
<matthias at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> On 08/11/11 18:22, Al Tobey wrote:
>
>> 1.) We started paying attention and caring about delays
>>

> If messages were "going in and coming out just fine at 5000-6000
> messages/s", then no backlog, and hence no increasing delay, can have
> developed.
>
> If rabbit was happily coping with 5-6kHz at one point, without creating a
> backlog, but later on it was only managing 1.2kHz then one possible
> explanation is that a temporary spike may have caused enough of a backlog
> to build up to force rabbit to page to disk, at which point performance
> drops until the backlog clears.

Sorry, I wasn't clear or thorough. I don't know if they were backing up or
not, because I turned it all up and moved on to other things. It might have
been backing up or delayed without tipping the server over; I wasn't
watching until the engineers using it notified me that they were seeing
delay.

 2.) Load increased, by as much as 2x depending on time of day

> So is your main complaint then that the message rates rabbit can cope with
> when using stomp are lower than what you expect to see? If so, what is that
> expectation based on? A comparison with using RabbitMQ with AMQP? Rabbit's
> stomp processing is a fair bit slower than handling AMQP.

Yeah, that's my complaint (really, more of an observation).  I would hope
it could be within a few percent of AMQP or even faster since the protocol
is smaller & simpler, but I totally understand why RabbitMQ chose to back
it on AMQP.

I'm pretty sure I've pushed way more messages through RabbitMQ+STOMP
before, but that was a couple years ago at another company, and also on
rather nice bare metal so it's an unfair comparison.

"Rabbit's stomp processing is a fair bit slower than handling AMQP" is what
I suspected and is a satisfactory answer.

Thanks,
-Al