[rabbitmq-discuss] 2.4.1 features

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 23 11:46:27 BST 2011

On 21/05/11 12:14, Steven Taylor wrote:
> just upgrading from 2.2 to 2.4.1.  Would noAck typically be set to
> "false" in prior versions for BasicConsume?

The overridden versions of BasicConsume that don't take noAck do set it
to false.

>     BasicConsume(string queue, bool noAck, string consumerTag,
> IBasicConsumer consumer)

> Also, seems like you've snuck in some nice features into the patterns
> area like EventingBasicConsumer (thanks Simone for your example on
> this... otherwise I wouldn't have known about it). How are you Rabbit
> folk currently making announcements about new features?

The release notes are posted to the rabbitmq-announce mailing list:

and are available archived from our news page:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/news.html

Highlights for each release are summarised at the changelog:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/changelog.html

 > "The consumer tag is local to a channel" -- so we're talking about
 > identifying one consumer, of many listenning in to a single channel?

Yes, to allow you to:

* Know which messages arrived for which consumer.

* Cancel an individual consumer.

NB: the consumer tag always exists, the server will; generate one for
you if you don't provide one.

 > If we've got a field/tag for a particular consumer (even one on the same
 > channel), perhaps it'd be nice to have a publisher-tag as well.  i.e.
 > issolate a particular publisher for tracing purposes.  reply-to merely
 > distinguishes the queue.

The trouble is that AMQP 0-9-1 doesn't require you to declare a
"publisher" in the same way that you do a consumer (maybe it should) -
so it's not clear where this would live.

 > Maybe I could use "IDictionary arguments" could be used for this
 > instead?  I've ignored "arguments" up until now.

If you want to identify a particular publisher, the canonical way to do
that is with the "app-id" property in BasicProperties.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ