[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP 0.8 producers talking to AMQP 0.9.1 consumers: how dangerous is this idea?

Michael Bridgen mikeb at rabbitmq.com
Sat May 14 21:22:12 BST 2011

Michael,

> I am facing a situation when (because of library versions I cannot
> yet upgrade), AMQP 0.8 producers need talking to AMQP 0.9.1
> consumers. I tried 0.9.1 producer and 0.8 consumer so far (so, the
> opposite way) and messages are delivered as expected.
>
> Is this a dangerous endeavor? Are there any known issues? All my apps
> need is what 0.8 spec has, no advanced features or RabbitMQ-specific
> extensions. Just publish messages here, process them there.

You will be relieved to know this is safe.  The respective clients will
paper over differences in most cases, and RabbitMQ will send the correct
frames for each client.

Message format didn't change between 0-8 and 0-9-1; and very few frames
changed, except to rename fields.  The changes were largely in
semantics, deprecating (renaming) a few fields, different error codes,
and dropping unused features.

For the record, there's a list of differences at
http://dev.rabbitmq.com/wiki/Amqp08To091

Regards,
Michael