[rabbitmq-discuss] Does RabbitMQ have an embedded broker plugin for Maven similar to the AciveMQ one?

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 13 14:17:42 BST 2011

Hi Linley,

On 12/05/11 15:39, Linley Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are starting to use RabbitMQ and would like to have our projects
> configured for continuous integration testing using an embedded broker
> within the JVM. Does RabbitMQ have something similar to the ActiveMQ
> one:
> http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-i-embed-a-broker-inside-a-connection.html?

RabbitMQ runs in an Erlang VM, which is quite different from the JVM.
Something conceptually similar is possible though. RabbitMQ is an Erlang
application and it is possible to run a RabbitMQ broker in the same
Erlang VM with another set of applications. RabbitMQ normally runs in a
dedicated Erlang VM though.

It is also possible to run the Erlang AMQP client in the same Erlang VM
as the broker. This removes a network hop and serialisation steps. See
the description of the direct driver in
http://www.rabbitmq.com/erlang-client-user-guide.html#model

> Also, is there a plugin that can boot up the broker similar to this:
> http://activemq.apache.org/maven2-activemq-broker-plugin.html?

Maven is able to load and execute Java bytecode within the same JVM. It
is not possible to execute an Erlang application in this way. It is
possible for maven to launch RabbitMQ and the Erlang VM as an external
process.

-Emile