[rabbitmq-discuss] Experiments with the fanout exchange and many queues

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:17:20 BST 2011

Hi List,

With @michaelklishin we tried to reproduce the problems of the RabbitMQ chat. I wrote an Erlang test scenario, he did the same for Ruby.

This is the repository: https://github.com/videlalvaro/massive_fanout

The scenario is this:

- Open 1 connection
- Create many consumers, one with one channel for itself and one private queue. The queues are bound to a fanout exchange. (I tried with 8K consumers)
- Route messages. With 10 msgs you should see the broker having problems. Also the management plugin starts having problems.

Please keep in mind that in my case I don't consider this use case a typical one, far from it. Still it might be useful for you guys to be able to easily reproduce this.

I wrote a README on how to reproduce it.

Best,

Alvaro