[rabbitmq-discuss] Cluster size limit

Advait Alai advaitalai at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 19:11:03 BST 2011

Thanks for the reply --

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Jerry Kuch <jerryk at vmware.com> wrote:

> 150 is a pretty big sounding cluster...  Out of curiosity, what's
> motivating you to go so big (if you don't mind saying)?

I am doing a QoS analysis of publish-subscribe overlays using RabbitMQ in
wide area networks (These are country wide networks, so even a 1000 nodes
might be insufficient :-)) So stuff like packet delay, loss, out-of-order
delivery etc.

> On that note, because RabbitMQ clustering is based on Erlang distribution,
> the current practical limit you'll probably run up against is somewhat lower
> than the 150 you have in mind.  Something more like 32 to 64.

Is there a configuration that would let me scale to >64 nodes, even if it
would not be practical? And in case Erlang does not scale well, I'll
probably have to resort to entirely another middleware -- any suggestions
that would work on a larger number of nodes?

> If you can say more about your goals it's likely that someone on the Rabbit
> team can suggest something helpful.

The analysis I'm carrying out on >100 nodes is actually on a single system.
These 'nodes' are actually many light weight linux containers (more or less
virtual machines) connected by a simulated NS3 network topology. But I doubt
this would be the cause of the clustering problem, as <50 nodes were
clustering without any difficulty.