[rabbitmq-discuss] Failure during shutdown with v2.3.1

Lee Kirchhoff lee at rightscale.com
Fri Mar 11 04:03:42 GMT 2011

I recently upgraded from RabbitMQ 1.8.1 to 2.3.1 and am running in Mac and
Ubuntu enviroments. I have a plugin that uses the amqp_client to access a
local queue. With 2.3.1 when shutting down I get the error below, which I
never encountered previously. There is no load when the shutdown is

I tried to determine the cause. It appears that it may be something of a
race in that when I insert a 500 msec delay in
amqp_channels_manger:handle_channel_down/4 I get the initial internal error
indication, but no following error report. My plugin is listed before the
amqp_client application when I do a 'rabbitmqctl status' so I it should be
the first getting a chance to shutdown and close its amqp connection, i.e.,
before the amqp_client shuts down, but I suppose applications shutdown

Is this a bug or am I violating some RabbitMQ design assumption. Like I
said, it wasn't happening with 1.8.1 over the last 10 months of use.

Lee Kirchhoff

=WARNING REPORT==== 10-Mar-2011::16:19:53 ===
Connection (<0.258.0>) closing: internal error in channel (<0.263.0>):

=INFO REPORT==== 10-Mar-2011::16:19:53 ===
stopped TCP Listener on

=ERROR REPORT==== 10-Mar-2011::16:19:53 ===
** Generic server <0.258.0> terminating
** Last message in was {'$gen_cast',channels_terminated}
** When Server state == {state,amqp_direct_connection,
                         {state,'rabbit at Lee-Kirchoffs-MacBook-Pro-9',

                          'rabbit at Lee-Kirchoffs-MacBook-Pro-9',0,0,0,none,
                           <<"Copyright (C) 2007-2011 VMware, Inc.">>},
                           <<"Licensed under the MPL.  See
** Reason for termination ==
** {internal_error,541,<<>>}